My new goal in life is lunch. Well, taking my lunch to work, more specifically. There are a few roadblocks to this situation. 1. I get bored. 2. It needs protein. 3. It’s also great if Nate will eat it. 4. It can’t be complicated. The past few weeks I’ve been making something easy on Sunday night that I can take throughout the week. And it’s working!
Inspired by a menu item at FirstWatch, this salad has become a lunchtime staple. It’s great served warm, cold, or room temperature too.
Chicken Cherry Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken stock or water
2 zucchini, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper
½ cup dried cherries
1 rotisserie chicken, breasts removed and cut into large pieces
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup sliced almonds
2 oz. herbed goat cheese, crumbled
¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a rice cooker (or device of your choice), cook the quinoa in the chicken stock (or water).
- Toss the diced zucchini with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven until golden brown.
- When quinoa is cooked, pour into a large bowl and allow to cool a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove breasts from rotisserie chicken and cut into large bite-sized pieces.
- Add cooked zucchini, dried cherries, chicken, parsley, and almonds to quinoa. Stir to combine.
- Gently stir in goat cheese.
- Add dressing and stir to coat. Taste for seasoning. Add more dressing if desired.